Posted on April 8, 2017
Finding the right type of bathroom window in remodeling or new construction can be tough. Here are two problems many homeowners have with their bathroom windows:
1) A remodeling bathroom window challenge – Your existing window is sitting right in the middle of a bathtub or shower area and the window frame is rotted or rusted out. You want privacy, you want the window to look good, and you don’t want the constant maintenance of having to re-caulk the window or rework the wood framing around the window.
2) A new construction bathroom window challenge – You’re building a new home with a soak tub or Jacuzzi in the corner of the master bathroom that has windows above the tub at eye level which are clearly visible from your neighbors property. You want a high privacy and good looking contemporary style window, but don’t really want to invest in expensive blinds.
How can you solve these two problems with style while maintaining your budget? One answer – bathroom glass block or acrylic block windows. This article will explore the benefits of these types of windows for your home.
Glass Block Window Benefits for your new home or remodeled bathroom
Here are the 8 benefits you’ll realize by replacing your existing bathroom windows or installing blocks in your new home bathroom window:
1. Increased privacy – With homes being built closer together as land costs continue to escalate finding a cost effective window that provides privacy in your hall bath or master bathroom window can be difficult. With block you can pick a high privacy pattern like Icescapes or Delphi from Pittsburgh Corning or Ice or Pristal from Mulia to let light in, yet maintain the privacy you need.
2. Reduce your heating and cooling costs – Most existing bathroom windows have old aluminum frames or deteriorated wood frames with a single pane window glass inside. They are inefficient windows which frequently fog up, required a lot of effort to maintain, and cause your heating and air conditioning costs to be higher. Block glass windows are 10 times more energy efficient than single pane glass and provide a combination of obscurity and style many vinyl replacement windows do not.
3. Increased Security/Ease of Gaining Entry into the Home – Existing window are flimsy, usually held in with caulk and are an easy target for break ins. New glass brick windows are mortared in for most remodeling projects, making them difficult and time consuming to attempt to break through. New construction glass block windows come with a vinyl frame and nailing fin providing excellent security.
4. Cut Maintenance takes time, money and energy – Single pane metal and wood windows need to be repainted and caulked to keep the elements out and to prevent rust and deterioration. With block bathroom windows there is no maintenance needed since the windows are either mortared in or nailed into the framed walls in the property.
5. Easy to clean – These windows can be cleaned with soap and water or window cleaning solution.
6. Windows will become easy to operate – Existing bathroom windows are sometimes rusted shut, or cannot easily be opened making a bathroom retain excessive amounts of moisture, allowing mold spores to grow. New block windows can be combined with fresh air vents or power exhaust fans to make your bathroom healthier for your family and friends.
7. Easy to open– Acrylic block windows can open completely (there is a casement window available in multiple frame and glass styles for bathrooms) and glass windows can be combined with vinyl hopper style air vents which open very simply as well.
8. Old Windows don’t fit your new design style – Glass block bathroom replacement windows now are available in colors, different tints, satin finishes, decorative patterns, beveled edges, and many custom architectural designs to match a contemporary, traditional, or transitional design style.
Your master bathroom or hall bathroom window no longer needs to be an eyesore. With a new glass block bathroom window you can get an easy to clean, easy to maintain, cost-effective/ energy saving window, and add to the style and value of your home at the same time.
Posted on April 6, 2017
Once you have decided to use tiles on your floor, it is a good idea to look for a discount tile flooring company that will ship tiles to you at a discount price, especially if you are planning on tiling a large section of floor. There is no reason to not try and reduce the cost of the tile flooring you are about to do – on the contrary, it is a good idea that you make sure that you get good value for your money every step of the way – be it while you buy the tiles or while you install them.
Finding the Right Discount Flooring Company
Discount tile flooring companies are easy enough to find online – all you need to do is run a search for them. It is a simple and easy way to procure those perfect tiles for your kitchen floor – just find a discount tile flooring company and look through enough online catalogues and galleries to find a design, color, style and price that suits you best. The only problem that you might face with the discount tile flooring companies that you find online is the shipping. You might find the right tiles with an overseas company – and then it takes some times to ship the tiles over to you. However, because of the intense competition in the business, discount tile flooring companies will always try and send you your discounted tiles as fast as possible, using the best shipping services available, because they are always looking for a good reputation to build their clientele.
Getting a Discount on the Installation
Contractors usually come within the package deal that includes your tiles and the labor required to install them. To get discount flooring you have to know where to get the best contractor available at the best prices. The simplest way to do this is to do a little bit of research – find new companies that are looking to establish a clientele – they will give you the best discounts because they are willing to sacrifice the amount to gain a good reputation before they kick off as an established name in discount tile flooring. Ask your friends, neighbors and relatives; there is nothing like a recommendation to help you find discount tile flooring. Contracting companies can afford to give you discounts because they buy their tiles at discounts from the tile manufacturers and a new company will always be willing to pass this discount off to the customer to enjoy the goodwill that this creates between them. Even some older companies will be willing to offer discounts, especially during the off-season time when business is low. This is usually during December and January because of winter and the holiday season – and this is a good time to get your discount tile flooring done. Always remember that it is possible to bargain the discount price even after the company has offered you the usual five percent discount. Many contractors are willing to negotiate and bring the discounted price down from the standard that is their usual selling offer.
Posted on April 4, 2017
Updating the interiors of your home need not be expensive. Very often, just adding a couple of home decor pieces at the home is enough to feel new and to build interest. In addition, it can even lift the moods of people living around it. However, for a complete renovation or for complete redecoration, one needs to note down several things and come up with unique home decor ideas. Nowadays, this task is no big deal with limitless on-line stores and designers helping you in innumerable ways and at affordable costs.
There are various tips for decorating home with some of the best home decor products and creative thoughts in mind. Let us quickly look at some of the innovative ideas which one can apply in their sweet homes and get a vibrant look for their surroundings.
1. Bold Prints: There are many recommendations made by experts, and one which can be easily afforded by all is using bold prints in the form of chairs, cushions, bed sheets and wall arts. It is much simpler to purchase the bold fabrics and create a fashionable side in any corner or any room of your house. Contrasting colors make an energetic space.
2. Adding mirrors: It is a new idea and works great in halls, dining rooms, waiting areas and any small or big spaces. A beautiful illusion can be created with mirrors and one can be a huge sized room leading from one to another. You can find the mirrors at home decor on-line sites and it is your choice to select the right size of frame.
3. Lights: If you wish to have a bright colors space then including lights can be a great idea indeed. Having a dramatic setting in the home just using simple lights can transform the look of the space and make it classy. Some of the home decor products related to lighting you can find on-line are floor lanterns, table lamps, pendants, accent lamps and lots more. Lights under ceilings and in corners can also make a sophisticated ambiance.
4. Curtains: It is the most common and inexpensive way to decorate the house. If you wish to renovate your house quickly then just bring new bright color curtains and vibrant shades for every windows of the home. Long sized and dark shades are mostly preferred. The home can get a luxurious setting with the best curtains chosen.
It is the Internet era, and one can come across numerous home decor stores on-line selling products and helping people with ideas. But the question is, how to choose the best site? Start with going through the top home decor sites and check out the products and services offered. Next, you can review the sites and check the ratings given by the customers. Moving on, you can purchase a small item and check how the service is. Based on these points, you can make a judgment whether the site is truly best or not.
Posted on April 2, 2017
You may have never heard of asbestos awareness training, but it can save lives. It provides homeowners and workers a primary knowledge of how one can identify its presence, where it’s normally found in buildings, and how one can avoid exposure. Knowing where it’s found can help workers avoid exposure to this deadly mineral.
What is asbestos?
Asbestos is a bunch of minerals seen almost everywhere in nature and is a fibrous substance. They’re found in fireproofing and noise reduction materials, electrical insulation, cement, construction supplies, roof shingles, ceiling plaster, chemical filters, and other types of manufacturing materials. Small asbestos particles can become airborne (float in the air), especially throughout the manufacturing of materials that have asbestos. These airborne particles can be breathed in, causing mesothelioma, cancer, and other asbestos-associated ailments.
Asbestos awareness training is vital because asbestos is found in a large number of buildings in addition to houses and schools. Within the workplace or home asbestos will mostly be seen as sprayed-in insulation above ceilings and on steel beams, in ceiling and flooring tiles manufactured prior to 1981, and in electrical insulation around ducts and pipes. As far as flooring tiles are concerned the majority of 9-inch tiles and some 12-inch tiles will contain asbestos in the event that they were produced prior to 1981.
How can you establish if asbestos fibers are a hazard in your office building?
If a building has asbestos-containing materials a notice will be placed near any major door alerting everyone to its existence. Furthermore, if asbestos-containing-electrical insulation exists a label will be placed to identify the possible danger.
Essential ways to avoid exposure
To prevent exposure you have to first be aware of its likely locations. If you’re uncertain if a material includes asbestos you should assume that it does until otherwise determined. Simply looking at ceiling tiles, flooring tiles, acoustic ceilings, electrical insulation, and other types of materials will not normally tell you if they contain asbestos. The one way to verify with certainty if a material includes asbestos is to have the Environmental Health and Safety Department remove samples and look at them in a laboratory. By no means take a sample on your own as it could possibly cause particles to become airborne where they can be breathed in.
If an item is marked as containing asbestos or you believe that it may perhaps contain hazardous asbestos, such as 9-inch flooring tiles or decorative ceiling tiles, you should not touch it. Do not ever move, cut, disturb, saw, hammer, or damage any material that you believe might contain this deadly mineral.
You should first check with the Environmental Health and Safety Department before doing any work such as repairing or changing ceiling tiles or flooring tiles, changing or repairing electrical insulation surrounding pipes, or removal of “popcorn” ceilings. This includes moving aside ceiling tiles to carry out any kind of maintenance work. Previous to performing any work you should first decide if the material contains asbestos. Once you have determined that the materials are safe the work can be done. Nevertheless, if asbestos is discovered it must be removed or sealed by qualified experts before any work is performed.
Always report any materials that have asbestos to the Environmental Health and Safety Department. Until you have positively determined that any ceiling tiles, flooring tiles, or sprayed-on insulation or plaster does not contain asbestos, you shouldn’t try and carry out any work involving them. If you should come across potentially toxic material take actions to prevent other people from coming into contact with the material or disturbing it until an asbestos abatement crew can clear it up. Knowing what materials contain asbestos and where they are found can help you avoid exposure to others and to yourself.
Posted on March 31, 2017
Style your kitchen with the right tiles – this will help you make your kitchen look good – and also protect the floor of your house from damage. The kitchen is a room that requires extra protection for its floors because of the kind of work that the room is used for. There is the constant danger of stains and damages caused by heavy falling utensils and so on. Your floor tiling has to be durable and long-lasting and easy to clean.
The Kinds of Kitchen Tile Flooring Available in the Market Today
There are many kinds of kitchen tile flooring that you will find in the market today – different materials can be found at different price ranges – each of these materials have their own advantages and disadvantages. It is easy enough to read up on the different materials available and choose the perfect material for your kitchen tile flooring.
Glazed and Unglazed Tiles
Firstly, there are glazed and unglazed tiles; the glazed tiles can be cleaned very easily and do not stain as often as unglazed tiles. All you need to do is run a mop soaked in warm water with a mild detergent solution across them from time to time. The problem with glazed tiles is that they are very smooth and therefore can be quite slippery. This is dangerous, especially if the kitchen area is prone to water spillage or if there are young children in your home. To avoid this, you could choose unglazed tiles over glazed ones. Unglazed tiles will prevent the floor from being slippery and have an aesthetically pleasing textured surface. Then again, unglazed tiles will not be as durable as glazed ones – they will be relatively more prone to damage because they are not protected by that extra layer of glazing.
Different Kinds of Tiling Material
Natural materials for kitchen tile flooring include porcelain, quarry, pebble and stone. These ties are textures, rough and durable – and also, relatively more expensive. They offer a great authentic look to your kitchen and give it that extra classiness that you might be looking for. Porcelain and ceramic is easily chipped and damaged – and one needs to replace the tiles often. A good idea would be to use glazed ceramic or porcelain tiles for your kitchen tile flooring – although you would have to be careful on the smooth surface.
The other kind of material that you might want to use for your kitchen tile flooring is linoleum, vinyl, laminate or plank. These are manufactured in different styles – and each design makes them look like a different material from what they are – with stylized textural patterns like wood or stone or marble or mosaic. They are comfortable to walk on, easy to clean, difficult to slip on and convenient to use as kitchen tile flooring. However, they do not look as authentic or as stylish as natural materials, although they are available in different styles, colors and price ranges. They are usually much cheaper than the other kind of tiling – but they require immediate cleaning of spillage because they are not stain proof. The surfaces are easy enough to clean but stains are difficult to remove and the tiling can be dented by wear and use.
It is easy enough to find the right kind of kitchen tile flooring for your home once you have decided what advantage you prioritize over all others – look through the immense numbers of websites available online for kitchen tile flooring and choose the tiles that will suit your kitchen the best.